Howto install Tomcat with Eclipse IDE on MacOS X.
What we need:
1. Extract Eclipse into your Applicationfolder and Tomcat to your prefered location for example into your home directory.
2. change into the apache-tomcat-6.0.20/bin directory and make all .sh files executeable
chmod +x *.sh
3. test if it starts
something like this should appear:
Using CATALINA_BASE: apache-tomcat-6.0.20
Using CATALINA_HOME: apache-tomcat-6.0.20
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: apache-tomcat-6.0.20/temp
Using JRE_HOME: /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Home
4. Test you tomcat installation via your Browser
if everything works like expected shut the tomcat instance down
5. Now we add Tomcat to our Eclipse environment
Double click on the server and select “Use Tomcat installation (take control of Tomcat installation)”:
Set tomcat preference to use installation directory parameters
6. Modify the tomcat-users.xml file located in //apache-tomcat-6.0.20/conf directory and add:
REMOVE SPACES ON OPENING TAGS
< role rolename=”admin” />
< role rolename=”manager” />
< role rolename=”manager-gui” />
< user username=”admin” password=”mypass” roles=”admin,manager,manager-gui” />
with your username and password for administration
NOTE: make sure to remove all commented lines of the file so it’s not overwritten every time tomcat starts.